Sunday 15 April 2018

Celebrating Baishakh with celebs




As the light spring air of Falgun grows fuller and heavier, a feeling of joy arises in the hearts of Bangalees as they feel a new era about to descend. Pahela Baishakh, one of the most significant traditional celebrations hailing in the Bangla New Year, is a new beginning for us all. The Daily Star reached out to a few celebrities about their plans for the special occasion.

MOUSHUMI

A whole year has gone by so fast, and now it is Pahela Baishakh already. This is a special day for me, full of joy and happiness. This is the one day when all Bangalees, regardless of their religious backgrounds, come together to celebrate as one. For me, | dearly miss the Pahela Baishakh celebrations of my childhood in Khulna, when I always looked forward to visit the fair.

ZAHID HASAN

I always look back to the Baishakhi celebrations of my childhood. I hold those memories close to my heart today. A Baishakhi fair would be held in Sirajganj every year, where many stalls were put up selling all sorts of fares. I remember the excitement I felt as I returned home with my coveted treasures. I often wonder if the children today would understand these simple pleasures. My family and I wear new clothes on that day too. I wish everyone a 'Shubho Noboborsho'.

FERDOUS

It has been ingrained since childhood that Pahela Baishakh is a day of joy. The New Year is a chance for us to let go of the old, and make room for newer and better things. As Bangalees, we should look forward to uniting as a people with the same feeling in our hearts. I look forward to starting my day with something sweet, before moving onto delightful culinary delicacies throughout the day.

ANKHI ALAMGIR

Pahela Baishakh is a fortunate day for all Bangalees. What I especially look forward to is how we turn to traditions in doing the celebrations justice. At my house we serve only traditional Bangalee food on the day. All of us dress in new Baishakhi colors, and I prefer saris. llish (hilsa) fish is a must, alongside different varieties of bhorta. Traditional sweets are also being passed around, which puts everyone in a festive mood. There's also a get together for those in the media, which I always look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular

Sanders censures Russian obstruction in 2020 races

Bernie Sanders on Friday censured Russian obstruction in the 2020 political race, disclosing to Russia President Vladimir Putin that "w...